A consummate professional, Steve was a proud member of the American College of Trial Lawyers. This elite organization limits its membership to the top 1% of trial lawyers. Only those with proven trial skills, reputations for civility and professionalism are invited to join. For the last three decades, Steve had dedicated himself to the defense of medical professionals. He understood that successful medical malpractice defense requires outstanding trial skills and the ability to make complicated medical concepts understandable to jurors. Steve excelled at both. A highly skilled and experienced trial lawyer, Steve had tried over 100 cases to jury verdict, winning tough cases others may choose to settle. Most notably, the defense verdicts Steve obtained are rarely appealed, meaning no costly appellate fees or retrials.
Steve was always “up to date” with current and past medical developments. His unique skills allowed him to understand the complex medicine in all areas of medical malpractice defense and then translate that knowledge into clearly understandable concepts for the jury. He successfully defended cases involving birth injuries, surgical complications, cardiac arrests, neurological injuries, suicide, infections and orthopedic mishaps. When settlement is appropriate, Steve’s trial success translated into a powerful settlement tool.
Areas of Practice
- Co-author: “When Good Doctors Get Sued ” with Angela Dodge, Ph.D.
- Chapter Author, Washington Civil Procedure Desk Book (2d Ed. 2002)
- Section Author, Washington Civil Trial and Evidence Manual Fifth Edition 200
- Comment: Constitutional Law: Edelman and Schuer: The Relationship Between the Eleventh Amendment and Executive Immunity
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Washington State Bar Association (Past Chair, Litigation Section);
- Washington Defense Trial Lawyers (WDTL) Former Trustee;
- Member, American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA);
- The Defense Research Institute, Inc. (DRI);
- Washington Health Care Risk Management (WHCRMS);
- Emeritus member, Hon. Robert J. Bryan Inn of Court;
- Frequent speaker at local and national seminars on legal and risk management issues;
- Participant, ABOTA Masters in Trial;
- Super Lawyer, top 100 Washington attorneys
“While I relish the courtroom, I understand that for our clients, it is one of the most stressful events in their lives. Doctors get up every day wanting to help their patients, but the legal system forces them into an adversarial position. We are here to help our clients through that process, so that when it is over, our clients can go back to doing the good work they do on a daily basis.”